Welcome to the web site of the Clan Crawford Association. The Association has been in existence since 2006, though previous Crawfords have attempted over the last several centuries to record and promote Crawford history and genealogy. However, none has until now made an effort to organize Crawfords as a house or clan. Previous efforts have only persisted until the individual who promoted them had given it up due to advancing age or passing.
The Clan Crawford Association has been registered since 2006 as a non-profit corporation. In 2012 it was granted a coat of arms by the Lord Lyon that integrates the arms designs of the two main branches of the House. You'll find an extensive discussion of Crawford heraldry under the menu tab "Heraldry", including a historical review of the Arms of Crawfurd. This web site describes what the Association does and the benefits provided its members. It also reviews our history, oral traditions, and some of the Crawford cadet lines, mostly from the middle ages.
We provide an on-line Archive that contains many historical documents and family histories associated with our surname. A newsletter goes out to members of the Clan Crawford Association every other month (February, April, June, August, October and December); it carries articles by and about Crawfords both historical and current day. The Association jointly with Craufurdland Castle sponsored tours of Crawford historical sites in 2009 and 2014, both associated with major events in Scotland: Homecoming Scotland 2009 and the 700th Anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn (2014). Crawford site tours will likewise be organized in the future.
If you would like to become a member of the Association then you will find more information on the membership page. You do not need to bear the surname of Crawford to join. The Association also accepts as members those who are descended from Crawfords. Members of the Association now include Crawfurd of Ardmillan, Crafoord of Sweden, Crawford of Kilbirnie, Crawford of Newfield, Craufurd of Craufurdland, as well as the Baronet of Kilbirnie (Craufurd of Newark), and others living all around the world with the surname of Crawford or one of its variants (Craufurd, Crafoord, Crafford, Crofoot, etc.).
We are a house of Lowland Scotland with origins in the Southern Uplands of Lanarkshire, close to the source of the River Clyde. The map [right] gives an overview of the geographical locations associated with various prominent Scottish lowland houses, including those of Crawford, within the districts to Kyle and Cunningham. In 1889 Kyle and Cunningham were integrated with the District of Carrick to form the County of Ayrshire in which historically our presence has been most felt. The historic district of Cunninghame was bordered by the districts of Renfrew and Clydesdale to the north and east respectively, by the district of Kyle to the south over the River Irvine and by the Firth of Clyde to the west.
Cunninghame became one of the three districts or bailieries of Ayrshire, the shire or sheriffdom of Ayr. Cunninghame was in the north, along the River Irvine; Kyle was in the centre, along the River Ayr; and Carrick was in the south, along the River Doon. By the eighteenth century Ayrshire had become one of the counties of Scotland, with the three baileries being described as "districts" or "divisions" of the county, although they had no formal administrative existence. In the late nineteenth century the "territorial division" was described as comprising the civil parishes of Ardrossan, Beith, Dalry, Dreghorn, Fenwick, Irvine, North Ayrshire, Kilbirnie, West Kilbride, Kilmarnock, Kilmaurs, Kilwinning, Largs, Loudoun, Stevenston, Stewarton and part of Dunlop.[ Frances Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882-4, (Vision of Britain)] The district was abolished in 1996 by the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994, when the system of regions and districts was replaced by unitary council areas. The area of the Cunninghame district (including Arran) became North Ayrshire council area.
Historical Crawford Estates
The following is a map of the locations of most of the historical Crawford Estates in Scotland. This super-map of Southern Scotland is provided with arrows pointing to the Crawford sites. It was prepared by Kevan Crawford around 2005/6. A list of these estates identifying their historical names and locations is available. It will be added in the near future. Recently we have identified a few more sites that were not included on the original list. There is also a site for Old Maps that shows some of the old Crawford estates from 1500's to mid-1800's [http://maps.nls.uk/scotland/index.html ]. However, locating the old Crawford estates requires a knowledge of exactly where the site is to be found relative to surrounding landmarks.