

# *Clan Crawford Association*



## MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DECEMBER 6/7, 2014

Participants: Kevan, Raymond, Peter, Don, Mary, Karen, Syd, Christine, Bruce, Fred, Adam, Roy.

### ***Notes for future Skype Sessions***

As some people weren't able to be added in can you all please update your skype program. Just go to:

- "Check for Updates" under "Skype" on your overhead menu.

This'll only takes a very few minutes to update. Then we shouldn't have trouble keeping you in future conferences.

### **AGENDA TOPICS**

- 1. WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS**
  - 2. CURRENT MEMBERSHIP**
  - 3. GENERAL CONTACT LIST & ITS USE**
  - 4. WAYS TO ENCOURAGE MEMBERSHIP WITH VIEWS TO REGIONAL DIFFERENCES**
  - 5. REVIEW OF DUES STRUCTURE**
- OTHER BUSINESS**

### ***Meeting Overview***

An extra ordinary meeting was held on the 06-07 / Dec / 2014 of the Membership Committee.

The purpose of this meeting is to raise the activity of membership matters, to each regional Representative. Managing membership is something that needs to be pan-CCA, with each region being represented, taking a stakeholder of our membership.

Membership is falling, and there are various drivers for that. So that we as an organization can manage that better, it is proposed that each regional representative assist the Secretary in driving up and supporting membership.

## Membership - Website discussion and Actions

### **Discussion: All**

The usual discussion of the CCA site was talked through, with several members raising points about different aspects.

- CCA site compared to other Clan sites
- Parts of the CCA site that needing updating was discussed and agreed.
- Kevan happy to take suggestions on-board, but feels time is a constraint for him.
- Question was raised to seek someone in the Clan to help with the Website.

### *Individual interventions and recommendations:*

#### **Kevan/Joanne**

We had difficulties adding all participants to the conference. Spent considerable time adding and re-adding those wanting to participate. Some we were not able to add or they dropped off. WE apologize for that. Hope fully we can overcome these difficulties for our next meeting. One thing we would suggest is that everyone update their skype program. You can visit <http://www.skype.com/updateme> to learn more about the new group chat and download an updated version of the program for your computer. If you don't immediately see your computer on the page, please scroll down. Updates are available for Mac, Windows and Linux Operating Systems.

#### **Fred**

Here are a couple of things to pass around:

1. It would be nice if we could have a "fact" sheet that explains the Who, What and Why there is a Clan Crawford Assoc. It can be very concise but to the point.
2. We should have everyone who purchases shirts and/or other merchandize send in those contacts and determine the best source as well as a uniform identity for Clan Crawford. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at any time, phrederic1@aol.com

## Membership – a new approach required – Presented by Peter Crawford

Whilst I am happy in managing the membership remotely from NZ, having one person driving membership is not effective enough for the Association. I am also heavily constrained with time; membership is going to need to be a collaborative activity.

Presented the current membership statistics, and my approach.

- Each regional (as per the Policy) is to take a level of 'ownership' in keeping the membership active.
- To assist with this, I will do the following:
  - a) Send each Regional Representative (and supporting representative) their list of active and non-active members,
  - b) I will make available, my email templates, so that there is a similar approach in our communication.
  - c) Each region to be encourage to make contact with all members to let them know that they're their regional CCA contact. This is bring more value to the membership and members will have a known person to contact.
    - This will also allow the regional representatives to communicate when there are Games on and when they'll be holding a tent. (Marketing)
- If a non-member wished to regional, the regional contact will merely point them to the CCA web site to follow the process.
- Each quarter, I'll send out a full and regional spreadsheet that members can use to help with memberships status.
- A membership committee will be formed to communicate via that forum, membership initiatives and matters.
- It was tabled that Regional Directors to take charge as stakeholders of there region and;
  - a. 3 co-chairs co-opted
    - i. Currently Karen and Don, Karen agreeing.

*Individual Interventions:*

**Peter**

A while back paid particular attention to our charter. Reasoning, emphasizing the membership of the association has its challenges for one person due to relationships that need to be developed. For example there are only 2 members in South Africa Region. This is one area we can focus on. There are many in sustaining members in data base. Maybe we should contact them. How many can we get back that have gone into suspended state. Why in suspended status and whether want to come back? How can we deal with the memberships that we have. How many can we get back? A few have resigned. In suspended state we have quite a few (217). Put representatives against all those regions. Proposes that individual regional directors take charge of those in their region. If we can have more people making more contact we can make our membership increase. If we can have more people making more contact we could increase our membership.

Terry's e-mail to me suggested he would like to see a join now button on the webpage for joining and renewing. Would be good to have it on the front page, on the welcome page. Link through to join page.

*Action Item:*

**Regional Directors will immediately begin to supervise the registration of member associates within their region.**

i.

**Other discussions:**

1. Regional Games – Encouragement to give more visibility and assistance to attending games, as a means to championing memberships.
2. Bylaws and Job Descriptions – Peter raised that changes had been made back in February, to which had been ratified. These changes have now been made to the CCA web site. Changes should help clarify roles of Director for organization. Need to start developing tactics so we can develop a more robust membership. The activities of a region should include publicizing association. Have the Regional Directors taking a more active role on contacting those that live in the region.
3. Joanne has 1500 contacts – she'll send to me.

The more we can encourage more direct contacts with regional participants. Suggested could be focus of Annual Board Meeting. Indicated would send Peter her contact list, which includes around 1500 Crawford's and descendants.

Kevan asked who was Chairman. Peter said would need to be him. Suggested have at least one co-chair. Some directors will be afraid to do more without help. Have re-iterated that regional directors have authority to take on any assistances within region. Way to get people involved. One of their jobs is to keep get those in region involved. When we bring on some of these people, there is not a lot of time required to be a director, but can take all the responsibility themselves, but that can become a real burden, but if divide up duties and assign them out, that makes the burden more delegate people in their own regions. Other issue is that we need the regional directors to communicate between themselves to communicate what has been successful. In some countries no games. In US this a big thing. Communicate with each other to discuss what is successful in their regions while recognizing each region is original and different.

Joanne agreed. Have talked about this a lot. One of the strategies we need to develop. Tradition is US and also Canada; also in Scotland. But not a lot of people have gotten involved. Need to develop strategies and organize more. Have tent committee that can be more pro-active. We can do this through articles in the Newsletter. Can have meeting with Tent Committee. Can provide a more formal recommendation as to what tent committee can do. What each individual has done has depended on personality. Those of us that do it enjoy it. It can end up being too much to go to too many games. Can do more to support people's efforts.

**Bruce:** People join to get access to the website. Important to keep in touch with those members and let them know want them to continue.

Discussion of number of games we participate in. Several indicated that do a few. Mary for years had done many games but ended up being too much. Bruce and Terry in the PNW do cover many of the games in Washington and Oregon. We can't cover all in regions. In Northern CA there are a dozen games a year, but attend three or four.

**Bruce:** He said had not received reminders. If don't difficult to remember. When send reminder could include a decal to them.

**Kevan:** He said sent to new members but good idea to send to renewing members, too.

**Peter:** Indicated that has set up system to identify. Has mailed at least 3 notifications of renewal.

**Joanne:** She said both Peter and also Bob, had system to remind renewals. One of the problems is e-mail addresses not accurate, or dropped. Suggested mass mailings to those who have never joined.

**Peter:** Two strategies as an org. Pile of people who have been members and are not longer and another pile of people who have never joined. It doesn't make sense to just have all that communication going from me. It belongs to each of the Regional Directors, as stakeholders of current and potential members, to take the initiative. The advantages are that they will be both more culturally aware and social related to those in your region. Strong iconicity in the US about games in US and Scotland. Collaborative relationship and a regional approach is best. Strategies by Membership Committee on how to be better at that will be on-going discussions.

**Bruce:** Different if we invite regional contacts to come to visit tent.

Joanne had done so, but has not been able to sustain it over the years. Fred invites those from the Minneapolis area to come and a few do come down.

**Karen:** Invited many people who have connected with on Facebook. She does a lot of networking using Facebook and also going to festivals. Appreciates the help from others like Don and Martin.

**Bruce:** Once know dates of games, Terry e-mails those from area. Many will stop by booth and so keep up friendships. Getting them to go the next mile and join is harder to do.

**Joanne:** if we can systematize these suggestions we can probably use them to support others who have not done that.

**Kevan:** Regional Director can have assistant and have different contacts or circle of contacts. If Peter also follows through, then can maybe reach some that Regional Directors can't reach because they don't get along with, for instance. WE all need to work together to cover those areas primary person responsible for can't get to.

**Peter:** We haven't gotten real buzz about how we present ourselves — on the web —. The outreach in the US is excellent. WE need to progressively work on. Generations behind us live in a really digital age. The ability to provide contacts in a digital age will provide a service. Bruce and Karen get involved and invest into the association. People come to get— its a dynamic that. With interaction, they may become involved and become more interested in what they can give, rather than just take. Important for Regional Directors to be in contact with Peter, touch base and encourage them to get them interested in the Association.

Peter's effort to make the By-Laws more robust was reason he made the suggested changes.

**Kevan:** When originally wrote the by-laws we wanted to get some written to make them, always can use additions.

**Peter:** Important to constantly review how we can get more people get involved

**Kevan:** Make your suggestions at the next Board of Directors meeting. That way we can begin to implement some of these suggestions.

**Karen:** She suggested these recommendations should be on our website.

**Kevan:** I do all of the web changes. Someone who would be willing to take some responsibility in this area. I'd like to begin to work with them.

**Bruce:** We have an identity. We could do better at advertising it. It's a complex psychological concept, but people want something tangible. This is a psychology we should work on. We need to broadcast what we've done.

**Karen:** it was exciting. From there we can continue working with these people. If I can get an e-mail from them. I can start garnering membership. I use Facebook and twitter.

**Peter:** Bruce you touched on merchandizing. Wearable advertising. Is there a simple way we can do merchandizing? Is there someone out there who can work with him on the website? Some things could

use sprucing up a bit. Maybe we could see if there is someone in our association who could work on this.

**Kevan:** suggested would be nice to have a news feed, but I don't have time to keep up with this. This is good regional outreach. Also suggested aa cell phone ap. Distribute it. If they can come up with something that is reasonable.

**Karen:** Can't do uploading to the computer, but I can do marketing.

Kevan reviewed what he and Bruce did on website. It's a huge work and I can't cover it all.

**Don:** suggested ask membership if could like to participate on this, but sure there are people out there who are could do a good job with this.

Karen said that some links were dead.

Don suggested could we use our connections with other clans.

**Karen:** She's been asked to be a convener.

**Kevan:** has provided letter for out conveners.

**Raymond:** He agreed Regional Directors to take charge of their regions. Scotland has some dozen games annually at least. Suggested contacting Simon. Somebody from Scotland who could push the marketing side of things. My impression of Highland Games sites that is a really good way forward.

#### *Kevan's to do list:*

"Join now" link on main page to membership page. Where should we put it?

DNA – Some discussion around DNA testing

Bruce: Will go on website and update the summary page. Will talk to Don later so he can do his part. Kevan was also going to update the DNA.

#### *Action Items:*

- Member list has been sent to Peter for processing
- Changes around publishing the By-Law updates and Exec-Minutes have been made.

#### **Conclusion**

Peter to bring records for January up to date and then distribute to all Regional Directors.